Most Popular Types of Grass in Texas
Designing, creating, and maintaining outdoor spaces since 1992!
Contact Us Today
MasterScapes is a dependable landscape company committed to improving outdoor spaces. We aim to create the perfect space for you and your family by keeping your landscape looking beautiful all year. When you partner with us, you can trust that your landscape will be professionally cared for.
We help our clients make a good first impression by professionally and consistently caring for their outdoor spaces. Our experience spans across industries that include hospitals, senior living, hospitality, office buldings, and more!
Our Landscape Architects will use their knowledge and experience to develop a master plan that makes the most of your outdoor space
Our Landscape Professionals will implement the master plan and bring your dream outdoor space to life
Our Property Care Experts will take care of all aspects of your landscape year-round
In Texas, we tend to see two primary types of grass. It is important to keep in mind that turf species come in many varieties within each group. Let’s review the two major categories.
There are many types of grass in this region, but Bermuda grass is by far the most common, as it is drought-tolerant and hardy.
As temperatures drop, Bermuda grass will go dormant, but will quickly emerge as temperatures rise. Bermuda grass does not tolerate shade well. You may have challenges with Bermuda if you have a lot of trees on your property.
- Adapted to tropical and subtropical climates, it is a warm-season perennial.
- It prefers hot, humid conditions with over 16 inches of rainfall per year, mild winters, and prolonged periods of high temperatures.
- This grass consists of rhizomes and stolons and usually has a dark green color.
- Due to its extensive root system, this grass can grow in extreme climate conditions.
- Insects and diseases are well tolerated by it.
St. Augustine grass
The St. Augustine grass grows well in the shade. When well-maintained, it looks and feels just like carpet (and has even been referred to as “carpet grass” by homeowners).
- In South Carolina, St. Augustine grass is also known as Charleston grass.
- This is one of the most popular choices for lawns in the southern United States. Particularly in coastal regions where oceanic conditions moderate the cold temperature extremes.
- A shade tolerant grass for Texas, this grass grows well in full sun or partial shade.
What Makes Us Unique
We are licensed, dependable, experts in what we do
We have the knowledge, experience, and resources to take care of your outdoor spaces
We are committed to partnering with you to support your “Landscape for Life”
From Our Clients
“The landscaping looks amazing! The outcome exceeds our expectations we can’t stop looking at it. Many thanks!”
“My yard looks great. I’m very happy with MasterScapes! It has definetely been a happy marriage so far.”
“Since MasterScapes has taken over the landscape of the property, I don’t even recognize the place anymore. It looks great and I’m very happy with the service.”
GET IN TOUCH
Fort Worth, TX
Monday – Friday
8 am – 5 pm